AN ORGANIZATION LIKE NO OTHER
The FBI helps protect you and your children, communities, businesses and institutions from the most dangerous threats domestically and internationally. We help defend and uphold our national security, physical and electronic infrastructures, and American democracy.
A career at the FBI provides the opportunity to work among the best. We seek those who will contribute to the operations of a global organization that aligns people, policies, processes, and systems to ensure the highest quality investigations.
The FBI consists of more than 35,000 special agents and professional staff who work across the globe to protect the U.S. from terrorism, espionage, cyber attacks, and major criminal threats.
Many FBI career options are traditional to the investigative and intelligence community. Others are similar in nature to careers found in most Fortune 500 companies.
Explore this section to find out more about the FBI.
- FBI Headquarters
The FBI’s main headquarters building, known as the J. Edgar Hoover Building, is located in downtown Washington, D.C. Other headquarters locations include Quantico, Virginia; Clarksburg, West Virginia; and Winchester, Virginia. Divisions and services located at these locations include:
- National Security Branch, housing the Counterterrorism Division, Counterintelligence Division, Terrorist Screening Center, and Weapons of Mass Destruction Directorate.
- Criminal, Cyber, Response and Services Branch, housing the Criminal Investigative Division, Cyber Division, International Operations Division, and Critical Incident Response Group.
- Director and Deputy Director’s Offices and Divisions, including Resource Planning, Finance, Facilities and Logistics, General Counsel, Congressional Affairs, Public Affairs, Victim Assistance, and more.
- Human Resources Branch, housing the Human Resources Division, Training Division, and Security Division.
- Science and Technology Branch, including the Operational Technology Division, the Laboratory Division, and the Criminal Justice Information Services Division.
- The Information Technology Branch, including all of the FBI’s technology infrastructure, data, and technology management Divisions.
For more information on each of these Divisions and Offices, please click here.
- FBI Field Offices
There are 56 FBI field offices located in major metropolitan centers across the United States. Each covers a defined geographic region and is responsible for all FBI operations in that region. View our field office directory for a comprehensive list of all 56 field offices.
Additionally, the FBI has international offices around the globe. These offices – called legal attaché or legats – are located in U.S. embassies. Click here to view all legat locations.
- Additional Information
For additional information about the FBI, its history, leadership, structure, values, and activities, please visit FBI.gov/about.