FBI benefits plans are designed to foster health, happiness and satisfaction, to be a positive motivating factor, and to help each and every one of our employees best contribute to our mission.
The FBI offers a comprehensive suite of benefits to help employees reach their goals, including:
Federal Employee Benefits Programs
These programs are available to all federal employees. For more information, please visit the links below.
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program – www.opm.gov/insure/health
- Federal Long-Term Care Insurance Program – http://www.ltcfeds.com/index.html
- Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program – http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/
- Federal Flexible Spending Account Program – http://www.fsafeds.com
- Federal Thrift Savings Plan – http://www.tsp.gov
For more information on federal retirement benefits, please visit https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/.
For more information on working for the federal government, please visit https://www.opm.gov/.
Special Agent Benefits Programs
- Special Agents Insurance Fund (SAIF) - The SAIF is an FBI-sponsored, elective insurance program that pays upon the death of a Special Agent, whether job-related or not.
- Charles S. Ross Fund - The Charles S. Ross memorial Fund compensates the beneficiaries of Special Agents killed in the line of duty. Every Special Agent automatically belongs to the Fund.
- Public Safety Officers' Benefit (PSOB) - The PSOB covers all federal, state, and local law enforcement officers, firefighters, rescue workers, and any other public safety officer who loses his/her life in the line of duty. All FBI Special Agents are automatically covered by this program.
Other FBI Benefits Programs
- Employee Benevolent Fund - An elective insurance program for FBI employees that pays a set amount to an employee's beneficiaries upon his/her death.
- Justice Employees' Transit Subsidy (JETS) - The JETS program provides reimbursement for employees using public transportation to commute to work.
- Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) - The SLRP provides employees the opportunity to be reimbursed for student loans up to $10,000 per year with a $60,000 lifetime maximum.
- University Education Program (UEP) - The UEP reimburses the costs of tuition associated with attaining a certificate or degree for FBI employees who seek professional development in areas applicable to current official job duties.
- FBI Sabbatical Program - The FBI Sabbatical Program provides participants the opportunity to build subject matter expertise and leadership skills through a variety of academic programs.
The FBI operates in compliance with OPM’s policies and guidance on leave policies and programs. As such, the FBI offers the following time off programs:
- Annual Leave - FBI employees earn days of annual leave at a rate determined by their total years of federal government service (this includes civilian and most military service, with exceptions).
- Sick Leave - The FBI provides permanent, full-time employees with four hours of paid sick leave each pay period, or 13 days each year. Part-time employees can earn sick leave on a pro-rated basis.
- Federal Holidays - On top of their personal annual leave, FBI employees are granted ten paid holidays each year as declared by Congress. The holidays are New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Military Leave - FBI employees who are in the military reserves can receive up to 15 days of paid 'military leave' each year to attend weekend drills or participate in annual reserve training, funeral honors duty, or other duties.
For more information on leave and pay policies, please visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/#url=Overview